HEATHERTON CHRISTIAN COLLEGE
VISION, MISSION AND PHILOSOPHY STATEMENTS
“Growing in Christ, Striving for Excellence, Influencing the World”
“The Christ-centred purpose of Heatherton Christian College is to partner with parents and church in raising and discipling children, in a learning environment that inspires every student to excel in their unique gifts and talents, to realise their God intended potential.”
Heatherton Christian College is an expression of the life of the Kingston City Church which serves God in
- Winning souls for the Kingdom of God
- Caring for them at the point of felt need
- Training them for life and the work of ministry
The College exists to achieve these for children in the context of an educational environment. This process involves the whole person, physical, mental and spiritual, so that every student reaches their maximum potential and should become mature, stable, creative and knowledgeable citizens of the wider community.
The philosophy of the Heatherton Christian College is based upon:
- A Pentecostal, charismatic, and evangelical view of the scriptures in harmony with the main stream of Christian doctrine.
- An efficient and exciting approach to the learning process in which excellence of education is paramount so that each child will reach their potential.
- A disciplined environment to facilitate the educational process with due regard to common courtesies, well mannered behaviour and strong social interaction.
- An awareness and responsibility towards the wider community yet at the same time protecting the students from destructive influences.
These issues can only be fully achieved as the College works in harmony with parents and church. The College is therefore aimed primarily to serve those families who attend a Christian Church.
Statement of Democratic Principles
Heatherton Christian College is committed to the principles of a liberal democracy.
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government.
- We respect and observe the rule of law, and believe that no person is above the law.
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes.
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, but also the need to practise tolerance and understanding of others’ beliefs.
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom.
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the College community regardless of background.