Heatherton Christian College endeavours to provide subjects which are stimulating and exciting, and which provide the basic skills for life for an educated person.
All students in Years 7 to 10 study the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Physical Education.
This core curriculum is supplemented by our middle school elective program in years 7-9. This provides every student with an individualised program of study leading towards their commencement of VCE in year 10.
In Year 10 students have the opportunity to take on further elective courses and also embark on their VCE studies by beginning one VCE subject a year early.
Extra-curricular activities for secondary students include the following:
- Specific secondary year level camps and excursions, including a wilderness camp for Year 9 students
- Musical production
- Optional overseas language study tours to New Caledonia and Indonesia
- Year 10 mission trip to Palm Island
- VCE Missions trip to Thailand
- Outstanding musical groups including Junior Secondary Pop choir, Glee, worship band, and many other musical groups;
- Year 9 community service week
- Year Work experience week
- Student Representative Council
- Secondary student leadership system including Prefects system
- Senior secondary ski camp to Mt Buller
- Annual short-term overseas student exchange
- House system and competition e.g. cross country, athletics, swimming carnival, soccer
- Inter-school sport
- Opportunity to try out for state level sports teams
- Lunchtime programs and clubs
- Weekly secondary student chapel service
- Year of Challenge (Year 9)
- Annual VCE formal dinner
- Year 12 Valedictory dinner
- Outstanding outdoor education program involving surfing, rock climbing, orienteering, first aid course, Duke of Edinburgh program, canoeing, and cross-country skiing
- VCE common room
- Computer games club
- Student prayer group
- Specific secondary school social events
VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education)
We have a proven record of success in the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), with students achieving excellent results, enabling them to have access to a wide range of opportunities in tertiary courses. Our VCE program offers a wide variety of courses available for study with highly qualified and experienced teachers delivering these courses.
- elected government
- the rule of law
- equal rights for all before the law
- freedom of religion
- freedom of speech and association
- the values of openness and tolerance.